This is the 5th season Chamber Music on Valentia, and it is bigger and better than ever having been extended to 4 days. This year’s programme features many international and Irish musicians including: Apple Hill String Quartet (USA), Bangkok Symphony Orchestra (concertmaster), Stellenbosch International Chamber Music Festival (South Africa), Fidelio Trio and new Irish vocal group M’ANAM, programmed by Artistic Director, pianist Mary Dullea.
- Fishamble Sinfonia, an inspiring orchestra of emerging young Irish professional musicians returns to Valentia with a concert entitled ‘French Revolutionaries’.
- The Family Concert at The Lighthouse is themed ‘Fossils and Dreams’.
- The programming of music by the Festival’s honorary patron composer Ernest Moeran (who lived on Valentia) continues this year with a performance of his Sonata for Violin and Piano.
- Two composers in residence are featured: Judith Ring (Ireland) and Amir Tafreshipour (Iran).
- The Lighthouse at Cromwell Point is the venue for a sound installation by Seán Ó Dálaigh inspired by the work of a marine biologist, Maude Delap and stunning underwater photography by Brian Stone.
- A Musical Map of the Island includes up-close performances in intimate venues: Bach Solo Cello Suite No. 4, Judith Ring in performance, Young Voices mentored by Gavan Ring, International fiddler Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh brings his interpretations to Chapeltown and interviews with the featured composers are also programmed.